Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

The Most Basic Answers
As an adult returning student, you will have a lot of questions from where do I start to how do I pay for it? We believe you will find basic answers to those questions and more here.

Avoiding Diploma Mills
Diploma mills are “colleges” that promote a degree for a price but are not accredited and do not offer college-level course work required for a college degree. The schools, colleges and universities listed on this site are all accredited institutions. You can verify if a college is accredited by visiting the U.S. Department of Education’s website here.
Also, the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education provide a list of key questions to ask to determine if degree provider is a “diploma mill.” You can review those questions here.

Financial Aid
How to pay for your degree completion plan is often the top barrier for an adult returning to college. Learn more about what’s available and how to manage the costs at public schools and universities here.
Also check with your employer’s human resources department to see if an employee tuition assistance program is available.

Learning Fiscal Responsibility
An initiative of the Oklahoma College Assistance Program, formerly known as the Oklahoma Guaranteed Student Loan Program, and the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education since 2004, Oklahoma Money Matters offers information, resources and a variety of services to educate students, adults and families about managing personal finances, saving, consumer credit, financial aid and student loan management. Learn more here.

U.S. Veterans
There are several financial support programs for U.S. military veterans. Programs will provide assistance for eligible veterans for college degree plans as well as non-degree options such as apprenticeships, vocational and technical training, on-the-job training, tutoring programs and more. Learn more about the Post-9/11 GI Bill here.

Will schools consider giving college credits based upon my employment history and job skills?
This is called prior learning assessment and yes, there are a number of schools, colleges and universities that will take into consideration job skills, relevant learning and training as well as work and life experiences and apply those to college credits. Ask your admissions contact or academic advisor if the school has a prior learning assessment program.

I have 60 college credits but they are more than 20 years old. Will they still count?
Very often, your prior college credits will count toward a degree plan. The only way to find out is to take your old transcripts to an admissions officer for review.