A healthy living message brought to central Oklahoma by the YMCA of Greater Oklahoma City and the Oklahoma City Community Foundation Wellness Initiative.
Get moving toward a healthy lifestyle with these simple steps each day:
- Fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables.
- Include at least one fruit or vegetable at every meal and snack.
- Try-A-Bite Rule: offer new fruits and veggies and encourage everyone in the family to try a few bites each time. It can take 7-10 tries to like a new food.
- Encourage your whole family to decrease the screen time to 2 hours or less each day.
- Keep the TV and computers in central locations and out of children’s bedrooms.
- Enjoy your family! Turn off the TV when eating and talk about the day.
- Take gradual steps to increase your physical activity level.
- Do a few minutes of activity several times a day until they add up to 60 or more minutes each day.
- Physical activity should be fun! Try swimming, biking, walking, running, dancing, gardening or even vaccuming.
Rethink Your Drink
- Water has zero calories!
- Encourage your family to love water. Serve it, choose it and remember if it’s there, people will drink it.
- Read the label! Juice products labeled “-ade”, “drink” or “punch” often contain mostly corn syrup sweetener and less than 5 percent real juice.
- For children 2 years and older, encourage fat-free or low-fat milk rather than whole milk.
Take the 5210 Pledge
OK5210 Parent & Student Surveys
YMCA Healthy Family Home
Other Health Resources
“We believe that OK5210 provides tangible, reasonable steps for just about anyone and complements the goals of our Wellness Initiative,” said Nancy B. Anthony, Oklahoma City Community Foundation President. “The increase in childhood obesity combined with the poor health rankings for our community is alarming. We believe the simplicity of the OK5210 message helps make the goal of developing a healthy lifestyle more attainable.”